Every year, on November 13, there is an international celebration of World Kindness Day. When I think of this, two things come to mind for me, kindness to each other and kindness to the Earth. So here are ten simple ways you can celebrate today, five for people and five for the planet. Simply enough to do today.
Kindness to each other
- Practice Positive Self Talk – Kindness begins with the words we speak to ourselves.
- Write a thank-you note. You can write it for a relative, a neighbor, or even the checkout person at the local grocer. Appreciation is a universal craving.
- Pay It Forward – Pay for the person behind you in line at the coffee shop.
- Smile – Every time you are in company with another person today, look them in the eyes and smile. Smiles are just as contagious as yawns.
- Play a game of cards with your kids, grandkids, or even your friends. Card games are a fun way to slow down and connect. But, unfortunately, connection to each other is a lost art in our era of technology.
Kindness to the Earth
The Earth is our world, so it only makes sense to extend compassion and love for the land we call home.
- Leave it better than you found it. If you see a piece of trash, pick it up and put it in the garbage. We have a rule in my house to leave every room better than you found it. This rule can be applied anywhere, any time.
- Unplug one thing in your house today. Choose something you don’t use regularly. Even when your chargers are not charging, they are still pulling electricity.
- If you purchase anything from the store today, bring your bag. Reuse your bags from home and refuse that plastic bag from the market.
- Have a meat-free day today. Consuming less meat is good for our bodies and the planet.
- Talk kindly to your plants. There is an energy in our words. Our words not only have a positive impact on each other but on mother nature too.
What ways can you think of to celebrate World Kindness Day today?